Elementary ESL Brochure Secondary Welcome Guide
The London District Catholic School Board has opened a Welcome Centre for New Families to Canada to support the settlement of refugee and immigrant families in our community and schools. Conveniently located in downtown London at: Catholic Central High School at 450 Dundas Street, London, ON N6B 3K3. The Welcome Centre opened January 12, 2016. Experienced staff are working closely with community partners, area Catholic churches and agencies to assist with the settlement of new Canadians. The Welcome Centre is open: Monday-Friday, from 8:30 am-3:30 pm. Families should call 519-675-4431 x21040 to schedule an appointment. Please let us know if an interpreter is required for the appointment.
At the Welcome Centre we can:
- Assess the student’s current level of English language (reading, writing and speaking) and Math skills
- Make recommendations for appropriate programs.
- Introduce newcomer families and students to the Ontario Elementary and Secondary school system
Who should come to the Welcome Centre?
- Any elementary or secondary student new to Canada, entering the Ontario school system for the first time (JK- grade 12).
- Any student who attended a French language school and English is not the language of their home.
- Any student from the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, or Australia who has spent less than two years in an English language school system.
- Canadian born students who moved to a country where English is not their first language and have returned to Canada.