Skip to main content
Catholic Central High School
Admissions & Registration


Application Requirements

 Frequently Asked Questions

1. My family does not live in the CCH Boundary. Can we still apply to the IB Program?  Will we get transportation?

The IB Program is a system program in the board and any student in the district can apply for the IB Program. Students in the IB program get a boundary exemption to attend CCH and busing if you live more than 3 miles away from the school.  This applies to the IB Diploma, Diploma Courses, Career-Related and the Pre-IB Programs.  Please contact the board office if you have questions regarding busing. 

2. Can we withdraw from the program?

Students may withdraw from the program. Students are not encouraged to withdraw mid-semester or after the first semester unless there are extenuating circumstances.  Students who do not live in the CCH boundary will have to apply for a boundary exemption to stay at CCH.  If the boundary exemption is not approved by the board office, the student would have to return to their home school. 

3. Are there any fees to be in IB?

There are no IB fees for students in grade 9 or 10.  The only IB fee that students must pay is the cost to register as an IB student in the grade 11 year and the cost to write each IB Exam. Please contact the IB Coordinator for more information regarding the cost of writing an IB exam.

4. Are the IB students mixed with regular OSSD students?

The Pre-Diploma students take math, science and English with IB students and are mixed with OSSD students for their other subjects. In the senior grades, students are in IB only classes with a few exceptions.  For example, the IB music, visual art and drama are mixed with OSSD students.

5. Will my child get two diplomas?

IBDP student will received two diplomas, if there are no failing conditions.   Students in the IBDP obtain the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Diploma (IBDP).

6. What are the benefits of the taking the IB Program rather than taking OSSD credits?

There are several benefits for taking the IB Program.

a)    There has been a significant amount of literature published that states that students who complete the IB Diploma are better prepared for post-secondary education and have a significant lower university dropout rate.

b)    Students that obtain a 5 or higher in their higher-level subjects are eligible for first year transfer credits.

c)    Some universities will allow student to bypass their first year and start university as a second-year student

All universities in the world have an IB policy. Students are encouraged to research the universities they are interested in attending and see what they provide for IB students.  

7.  What is the difference between the 40 hours of community service and the IBDP's CAS Program or the IBCP Service Learning component?

The hours required for IB start in grade 11 and finish by March of the Grade 12 year.  The CAS hours incorporate creative activities, physical activities and community service.  IB hours can be granted for activities during the school day, where the OSSD hours can only be granted outside school hours.  The IBCP's service learning should be related to their career pathway.  Students will me with advisors to help develop their community involvement activities.  All OSSD hours obtained in the grade 11 and 12 years can count as CAS service hours and IBCP service hours.  Please contact the IB Coordinator if you have any questions regarding CAS hours.

8.  What grades does my child need to be accepted into the IB Program?

The admissions team at CCH looks for students with averages in the 80's in Math, English and Science.  In addition, the teacher references must state that they highly recommend or recommend the student.  References that state they recommend with reservation or do not recommend may not receive an acceptance into the program.  The IB Admissions Team will not review partial or incomplete applications.  Please ensure that all components have been completed.

o   Online Application

o   One Page Reflection

o   Report Card