Anaphylaxis or "allergic shock" is a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction. It is sudden, violent and frightening. It may begin with severe itching of the eyes or face, then other symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty with breathing may develop. If the reaction is not stopped at this point, the symptoms may become more severe leading to a drop in blood pressure, loss of consciousness and even death. All of this may happen within a few minutes. Parents, teachers and students need to be aware that there may be students at St Catherine of Siena Catholic School with these allergies.
The most common causes of anaphylaxis are:
*foods – often peanuts, tree nuts and seafood
*other – insect venom
It is the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian(s) to notify and ensure that specific information about their child is made available to the school. Upon notification to the school by parent(s)/guardian(s) of a child with an allergy requiring medication or possible treatment, the school will send home appropriate forms to be completed by the parent(s)/guardian(s) and medical physician to be returned to the school.
St Catherine of Siena is a nut-aware school! Please avoid sending to school in lunches/snacks, foods with nut allergens and any other items that your child's teacher has identified as being an allergen for a student in your child's classroom.