Skip to main content
Our Lady Immaculate Catholic School
Admissions & Registration
News Item

Allergy Awareness

September 08, 2016


Anaphylaxis or "allergic shock" is a severe, life-threatening allergic reaction.  It is sudden, violent and frightening.  It may begin with severe itching of the eyes or face, then other symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty with breathing may develop.  If the reaction is not stopped at this point, the symptoms may become more severe leading to a drop in blood pressure, loss of consciousness and even death.  All of this may happen within a few minutes. Parents, teachers and students need to be aware that there are students at Our Lady Immaculate School with these allergies.

It is the responsibility of parents/guardians to ensure that the specific information about their child is made available to the school. Parents will be informed of the presence of a student with life threatening allergies in their child's class and will be asked to avoid including the allergen in school lunches and snacks.