The internet is an extremely useful tool for research and recreation but there are dangers that students and parents should be aware of online. Setting ground rules for the use of the internet in your home can help to protect your children. The following document, The 10 Commandments for Kids Online, is available for you to copy, print and use in your home to help you define those ground rules and is suggested as a contract between parents and children to promote safe and responsible internet use.
Sometimes, the Internet can be an unsafe place. Because of this, I am making this agreement with my parents to help keep me and my family safe.
1. I will talk with my parents and we will set up rules for when I go online. We will decide the times of the day that are right for me to use the computer, how long I can use the Internet, and the kinds of places I can visit and the kinds of places I will always avoid.
2. No matter who asks while I'm online, I will never give out my real name, home address, telephone number, the name of my school, principal or teachers, where my parents work or their telephone numbers at work without getting my parents' direct permission.
3. If anyone online does anything strange or writes anything that makes me feel confused or uncomfortable, I will tell my parents right away.
4. I will never send anyone anything, especially a picture of me or my family, without getting my parents' direct permission.
5. I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER MEET WITH ANYONE I'VE TALKED TO ONLINE WITHOUT FIRST TALKING WITH MY PARENTS.
6. I will NEVER give out my online passwords to anyone--not even my friends. No matter how "official" it looks, I understand that no one should ever ask for my password online. If they do, I'll tell my Mom or Dad right away, because I understand that this is just a way to trick me into giving out the password.
7. If I want to download any games or programs, I will show them to my parents first and ask permission.
8. If I receive any messages or pictures that are mean or dirty, I realize that this is not my fault. I agree to tell my parents right away so they can notify our Internet service provider and stop this kind of thing.
9. I will never use bad language or send mean messages online. I will tell my parents if someone does that to me or if I see a site that says bad things about people.
10. I give my parents permission to look on my computer whenever they want to see where I have gone on the Internet, the e-mail I have sent and received, or what I do in a chat room.
I have read the above and agree to follow these rules. If I don't, my parents can take away the privilege of using the Internet.
Child’s Signature: ___________________________________
Parent’s Signature: __________________________________
This agreement is provided courtesy of the following website: Komando.com