Online Research Resources
Any sites with a Canadian flag
have lots of great Canadian information!
- Library Catalogues
- Research Databases
- Subject Research Guides ~ use these to help choose specific databases within InfoTrac and/or find subject-specific web sites
- Indexes and Directories
- Facts and Statistics
- French Resources
To find out what we have here at SMHS Library, search our catalogue
If we don't have what you are looking for, you might want to try one of our local libraries (library card required):
Oxford County Library
Woodstock Public Library
London Public Library
Fanshawe College Library
University of Western Ontario Libraries
The SMHS Library subscribes to a wide range of databases. You will find the username and passwords for all of these databases on a handout in the library.
Subject Research Guides
If you're trying to decide what database to use, or looking for a starting place for your research, try searching by Subject.
Indexes & Directories
If you’re looking for information on a broad topic, start by browsing through a list of subjects, sorted by categories, called an index or directory:
- Virtual Reference Library ~ Toronto Public Library staff have selected Web sites, sorted them into subject categories with descriptions of the sites. Lots of great Canadian content (look for the flags!).
- Internet Public Library ~ If the Internet is a giant public library, this would be its catalogue! Lots of subject categories that are easy to browse. (no longer active, but still a good source)
Facts and Statistics ~return to top
Statistics Canada ~ More complete access to Statistics Canada data, including Census Data, CANSIM (tables of data covering a wide variety of topics), Human Activity and the Environment. Also check Statistics Canada’s Learning Resources ~ specifically designed for students; includes Canadian statistics, maps, graphs, etc.
- The Atlas of Canada ~ "discover Canada through maps and facts"; digital maps, facts, quizzes, and more...not just geographical information. Topics include environment, people & society, economy, history, climate change, health, and more!
- Vanier Institute of the Family ~ check out their Research & Publications section. The Vanier Institute seeks to create awareness of, and to provide leadership on, the importance and strengths of families in Canada and the challenges they face in all of their structural, demographic, economic, cultural and social diversity."
USA.gov ~ lists of statistics, by topic
UN data ~ from the United Nations; searches 22 global databases
- World Health Organization's Data & Statistics
- CIA World FactBook
- Worldometers: real time world statistics ~ counters that display real-time numbers for stats such as world population (e.g. number of births today), government & economics (e.g. number of computers sold so far this year), society & media (e.g. number of emails sent so far today), environment (e.g. carbon dioxide emissions so far this year), food (e.g. number of obese people in the world), water (e.g. number of people without access to safe drinking water), energy (e.g. number of days left until we run out of oil), and health (e.g. number of cigarettes smoked today)
- Show: a new way to look at the world ~ resizes our world map according to various demographics/topics eg: war & conflict, religion, alcohol consumption, types of energy, GDP etc.
- Social Progress Index ~ measuring countries social progress in terms of Basic Human Needs (nutrition & medical care, water & sanitation, shelter, personal safety), Foundations of Wellbeing (access to basic knowledge, access information & communications), health & wellness, econsystem sustainability), and Opportunity (personal rights, personal freedom & choice, tolerance & inclusion, access to advanced education). Check out Canada's page to see how we stack up.
- GapMinder ~ a non-profit venture promoting sustainable global development and achievement of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals by increased use and understanding of statistics and other information about social, economic and environmental development at local, national and global levels.
News ~return to top
- CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corporation) ~ for up-to-date news stories with a Canadian focus. For older stories and research, check out their Archives.
- Globe and Mail ~ National newspaper, published in Toronto. For research on a variety of topics from politics to business to sports, check out their "In-Depth" sections (from 2000 - current).
- CNN ~ Cable News Network is an American basic cable and satellite television channel providing 24 hour news coverage.
Gale InfoTrac's CPIQ (Canadian Periodical Index)
~ find articles from a comprehensive list of Canadian and international journals, magazines, newspapers (including selected sections of the Globe and Mail), etc. This is in the Gale InfoTrac research database
, so you'll need your Gale InfoTrac password (see handout in library).
Canadiana ~return to top
Gale InfoTrac Resources (you'll need your Gale InfoTrac password, see handout):
Multimedia ~return to top
- Learn 360 ~ streaming video from educational video producers, including PBS, TVO, National Geographic and more (login information available on handout in library)
- National Film Board documentaries ~ watch full-length Canadian documentaries
- TeacherTube ~ like YouTube, with an educational focus
- CBC Archives ~ videos and radio broadcasts; categories to search include people, conflict & war, arts & entertainment, politics & economy, life & society, disasters & tragedy, science & technology, sports
- BookFlix ~ Scholastic BookFlix is a new online literacy resource that pairs classic video storybooks from Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning. The engaging way to link fact and fiction, BookFlix reinforces early reading skills and introduces children to a world of knowledge and exploration. Username and password available in the library.
- Bitstrips for Schools
- Britannica ImageQuest ~ Access to nearly 3 Million rights-cleared images!
~return to top
Additional Resources for Specific SMHS courses:
Hospitality & Tourism
Foods Class Cultures.docx
International Cuisine and Recipes.docx
PSK 4U (1).docx
Grade 12 Data Management Course.docx