Dear Elementary Parents/Guardians,
Even though it is still early spring, planning is underway for the Fall and what we expect the 2021-22 school year to look like for our Kindergarten-Grade 8 elementary students.
If you plan on your elementary child to attend school in person for the 2021-22 school year, you can disregard the rest of this message.
Virtual Elementary Programming
The LDCSB believes that in-person learning is the best option for our young learners. Our schools are safe, as shown by the low number of school-related positive COVID-19 cases in the LDCSB.
While we would look forward to welcoming back all our elementary students to in-person learning, we will continue to offer parents an option to enroll their child in virtual learning for the 2021-22 school year. Virtual learning will be delivered synchronously and asynchronously through the Virtual Learning Environment and Microsoft Teams following a daily schedule similar to that of our in-person elementary schools.
Who It’s For
- Students who excelled at online learning during the provincial lockdowns
- Independent learners (those requiring minimal assistance from an adult other than logging on and submission of work)
- Students who can maintain a routine and schedule, including arriving to class on time
- Students who are self-motivated, show a natural curiosity and who can work independently
Who It’s Not For
- French Immersion Program
- Choir and Orchestra Program
- Students with complex learning needs which are best supported in our schools
- Students with attendance concerns
- Students who have difficulty completing tasks and working independently
- Students who do not excel at online learning and using technology
- Students who found remote learning during provincial lockdowns challenging
- Households with device/internet access issues
Requests to Change Modes Will be Very Limited
Families choosing virtual learning for their elementary child are committing to that mode of learning for the 2021-22 school year. Transfer requests to return to in-person learning during the school year will be very limited and will be determined at a later date. Opportunities to transfer from in-person to virtual learning during the school year will also be very limited.
Please complete the form at this link by the end of the day on June 1 if you wish your elementary student to be enrolled in virtual learning for the 2021-22 school year. Please note that students currently enrolled in virtual learning who wish to continue must also complete the form.