Guidance and Career Education
“When we graduate a child from a Catholic School, we don’t only ask ‘What did you learn?’ but ‘Who did you become?’” Sister Clare Fitzgerald.
Guidance and Career Education plays a central role by preparing students for a complex and changing world. The Guidance program has a specific focus on learner, interpersonal, and career development with the following goals:
- teach career awareness early and throughout students' education;
- ensure that students have the skills they need to set and achieve their learning goals now and in the future;
- teach students the skills to make transitions throughout their lives, to work and/or further education and training;
- prepare students to live in an increasingly diverse society by helping them develop the ability to interact positively and work effectively in a range of setting
Two documents have been created by London District Catholic School Board Guidance staff to aid in transitions.
- The Journey Begins Planning for a Successful Grade 9, provides information about transitioning from grade 8 to grade 9. Find out about : your support team, what you need to graduate from a Catholic secondary school, course types and how to read a course code, pathways and keys to success in secondary school.
- The Journey Continues Planning for a Successful Grade 10,11 and 12, builds and expands on the information provided in The Journey Begins. Find out about: grade specific messages, graduation requirements, course types, more ways to success (specialized programs/opportunities), post secondary pathways and responsibilities.