Stress and anxiety are physical. We feel it in our bodies. Do you ever feel tension in your back, your face, your heart? Maybe you find yourself clenching your jaw or you often have pressure headaches? When we can calm our bodies, we can often calm our minds, too!
The song Weightless by Marconi Union has been proven to reduce anxiety by 65%. It was specifically designed to slow your heart rate, reduce blood pressure, and lower cortisol levels. It’s so effective that it is dangerous to drive while listening to it because it can make you drowsy.
In today’s Wellness Wednesday, we try listening to this song to see how it can help to calm our bodies and minds.
As a class, group or family:
- Ask everyone to think to themselves about their current level of calm and give it a score between 1 (very stressed) to 10 (very calm). Answers do not need to be shared.
- Next, watch and listen to the “Marconi Union - Weightless (Official Video)” (8:08) https://youtu.be/UfcAVejslrU
- When the video is done, ask everyone to once again think to themselves about their level of calm and give it a score between 1 (very stressed) to 10 (very calm).
- Invite people to share their calm scores from before and after the video. Discuss how the video can help with levels of stress and calm.
Ask yourself, there is no wrong answer:
Is there a way that the video could be useful in your life?
What do you think you can do to improve your calm even more?
Connecting to our faith:
“O God, we meditate on your unfailing love as we worship in your Temple.” (Psalm 48:9)
- Adult Book: “Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting” by Myla and Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Videos: Psychology Foundation of Canada’s 6-part Parenting Video Series https://psychologyfoundation.org/Content/Parents/For_Me/Videos-Supporting-Child-s-Mental-Health-.aspx
Employees of LDCSB check out WorkLifeHealth from EAP Provider Morneau
We welcome your feedback, click here!