Climate Change Efforts
With energy costs rising, we are taking the initiative to find ways to improve system comfort, create budget savings and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
The schools in the London District Catholic School Board received energy efficiency upgrades funded in part by the Government of Canada.
School renewal makes a difference to the learning environment – and the planet
We have completed a Board-wide renewal measures to replace fluorescent lighting with LED and TLED fixtures at all our schools and offices. The new fixtures are brighter, require fewer replacement bulbs over their lifespan, and are more energy and cost-efficient.
Other key measures at select schools include:
- new rooftop air handling units, for healthier classroom environments
- upgrades to a high-efficiency boiler plant, designed to improve reliability and reduce operating costs
- building controls re-commissioning, for greater classroom comfort
- building automation system upgrades, to reduce energy use and enhance comfort
- domestic hot water heater replacement, for more efficient water heating
- variable speed drives for fans, to enhance conservation and comfort
The program has reduced our greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs) by 10 per cent.
A number of schools are involved with the environmentally focused Ontario EcoSchools program, while others continue to find their own way of reducing their footprint through simple day-to-day actions. You can help increase recycling in your school by supporting take-it back, litter-less lunches and composting programs. Every action adds up to helping to care for Creation and the planet.
Here are some activities that can help make a difference:
- Litter-less Lunch
- Gently Used Toy Sale
- Go Veggie Week
- Use Tupperware
- LOCO (Lights Off / Computers Off)
- Use LED lighting at home
- Unplug electronics when not in use
- Walk or bike to school or work
- Use a refillable water bottle
- Use a cloth bag instead of plastic
- Do your laundry after 7 pm
- No Idling Campaign
- No paper or plastic plates/cutlery at events
- Online Newsletters
- Organic Fair Trade Coffee Houses
- Planting Trees and Flowers
- Register participation in Earth Hour
- Lights Off and Electronics Off Day
- Organize a Spring/Fall Clean at your school
- Organize and participate in Earth Day activities